I am very opinionated and patriotic. I don't apologize for either one. Sarcasm is something I find virtuous and I truly believe laughter solves everything....if it doesn't I don't mind a little violence either as long as it's fair. If you like my blog then show some of your friends. If you don't like it then let me know. Feel free to send me your comments and I will post most of them even if I don't agree. If you want to contact me my email address is canux.fan@yahoo.ca

Friday, April 7, 2006

UFC Rules! Here’s why…

I was a young adult and enjoyed martial arts movies just as much as the next guy but I was becoming disillusioned. Bruce Lee was dead, Chuck Norris acted like he was dead, Steven Segal was menacing but ran like a girl, and Jean Claude Van Damme was pretty but I was tired of seeing how many different ways he could use a movie to show off his butt. So what is a guy supposed to do? Well back around 1993 a sport came out that caught my eye, the Ultimate Fighting Championship or UFC. It was similar to a kumite like I had seen on ‘Bloodsport’ but without the slow motion and bad acting.

In the early days the UFC was more like a human cock fight than a legitimate sporting event and its appeal was limited mostly to a small portion of the 18 – 30 male demographic. With an ownership change and more stringent rules the sport began to experience a lot of momentum, and gained fans from both sexes. They even began to steal fans from boxing. Soon even celebrities would be more prevalent as the UFC pay-per-views (PPV) became the place to be in Las Vegas. The catalyst for the sports new popularity was, for many, ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ season one on Spike TV.

I became addicted early the first season wishing that Chris Leben would grow up and that somebody would pound Bobby Southworth and Alex Koschek. Watching Sam Hoger steal stuff and then get caught was also exciting. The high point was the season finale and the light heavyweight battle between Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin. One of the most exciting and action packed bouts I have ever witnessed, (and with my big mouth I have been in a lot of fights) it was exactly what the sport needed at that moment.

Well last night season 3 of TUF started with a 90 minute premiere featuring coaches and sworn enemies Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock. As for Canadian content, we are represented by Vancouver’s Kalib Starnes, a huge improvement on crybaby Jason Thacker, or season 2 whiner Rob MacDonald.

The tension was unreal between Ortiz and Shamrock and the producers did an excellent job contrasting the differing styles of these MMA icons. Kalib Starnes, decked out in a fancy maple leaf haircut, made short work of Mike Stine thus making it further than any Canadian. It wasn’t all good news as the previews showed Shamrock losing it on the Canuck in the next episode. I can’t believe I have to wait a whole week for more!

I love this show and more fans are tuning in all the time. With UFC 59 coming up in just a little over a week the excitement is building fast and I don’t think it will be long before the UFC and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) surpass boxing. Only time will tell.

Stay tuned this weekend for moron hockey- (oops I meant more on hockey but with the way the Canucks are playing….) and on Monday (or possibly Sunday, I dunno, it’s not like I have an editor) my thoughts on the Simpsons and their upcoming movie. So until next time remember, no Payne, no gain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Site Counter
Web Counter