I am very opinionated and patriotic. I don't apologize for either one. Sarcasm is something I find virtuous and I truly believe laughter solves everything....if it doesn't I don't mind a little violence either as long as it's fair. If you like my blog then show some of your friends. If you don't like it then let me know. Feel free to send me your comments and I will post most of them even if I don't agree. If you want to contact me my email address is canux.fan@yahoo.ca

Monday, July 10, 2006

UFC - UFC 61 Bitter Rivals PPV recap

I unfortunately didn't see the event as I sadly had to work. I have spoken with a few who did see it and read published reports and the only real surprise for me was the Arlovski Sylvia fight. SO here is the recap;

FRANCA VS JORDAN - I predicted a 2nd round submission by Franca, but it actually went 3 before Jordan tapped. A great fight with some good shots and flying knees.

ALDANA VS KONGO - I was nearly perfect on this one too. Kongo is a monster and I said 1st round K.O. Instead Aldana got cut and the fight was stopped by the doctor.

MONSON VS PEROSH - I really thought Monson would win by a submission, but 'the Snowman' Knocked out Perosh in the first round. Look for Monson to get a title shot soon.

FICKETT VS PELLEGRINO - I didn't know much about this one other than I don't like Pellegrino and I said 3rd round K.O. Instead it was a 3rd round submission. Fickett wins a decent fight.

EDWARDS VS STEVENSON - I knew Stevenson would win, and he did. This one was the bloodiest fight in recent memory and, no surprise, got stopped after the 2nd round because of the cut to Edwards. I expected a decision but no matter. Stevenson has to be considered a contender at 155.

BURKMAN VS NEER - Apparently this was the best bout of the night, going 3 rounds before a narrow decision was announced. Burkman needed the win, and as I predicted, he got it. Neer sucks, I hate him.

CHRISTISON VS MIR - This was a real opportunity for Mir to announce that he was back and ready for a chance to regain his title. I figured he would win convincingly, and while he did win, (A little controversial according to the boos that rained down) he looked sloppy and unprepared. Mir needs to put in a much better effort in his training or he will be history.

ORTIZ VS SHAMROCK - The fight I most wanted to see went exactly how I figured it would. Ortiz dominated and punished Shamrock with ground and pound and Herb Dean stopped the fight less than a minute in. Most think it was stopped a little early but Shamrock was doomed and waiting only would have seen him get hurt worse. I wish Shamrock would retire, but apparently he won't. Ortiz moves a step closer to a rematch with Liddell.

ARLOVSKI VS SYLVIA III - This was the only fight I was wrong about. I really thought this one would end early like the other two, and I was convinced AA would be the champ again. Nope to both. This extremely boring fight went 5 full rounds without very much action and Sylvia won by decision.

Not bad going 8 of 9 for my predictions but I still would have liked to have seen it. Apparently it was a pretty disappointing event but they can't all be great. UFC 62 will be in August and hopefully I can see that one, featuring a title bout with Chuck Liddell vs Renato 'Babalu' Sobral. Congrats to the winners and until next time remember, no Payne no gain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Site Counter
Web Counter