I am very opinionated and patriotic. I don't apologize for either one. Sarcasm is something I find virtuous and I truly believe laughter solves everything....if it doesn't I don't mind a little violence either as long as it's fair. If you like my blog then show some of your friends. If you don't like it then let me know. Feel free to send me your comments and I will post most of them even if I don't agree. If you want to contact me my email address is canux.fan@yahoo.ca

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Simpsons Cultural significance…D’Oh!

1989, what a year. Milli Vanilli was lip-synching their way to the top of the charts, Michael Keaton was ‘Batman’ and 80’s glam was making way for 90’s grunge. I had just left a promising career as the ‘head chef’ at a fancy restaurant in my home town….Ok it was Dairy Queen and I mostly flipped burgers, and I suppose it wasn’t that promising but hey I had just turned 19 and was old enough to legally drink so it wasn’t all bad.

On Sunday December 17th of that year a quirky little animated program made its debut and changed my life forever. A dysfunctional family from the ubiquitous town of ‘Springfield’ USA. I believe the appeal of the Simpsons primarily comes from two sources.

First, the Simpsons never age. Aging characters kill most shows, even animated ones, (see the Flintstones with grown up Pebbles and Bam Bam) as the chemistry changes. When you have a show about a 10 yr old brat, he will not have the same hopes and fears as a 27 yr old. Which is how old Bart would be if he aged with every year of the show. If needed the show uses flashbacks or dreams of the future to show the characters aging. This has resulted in some great moments. Who can forget Bart as an aging male stripper or Lisa as the President of the US.

Second, the show has always been very clever in its satire, mocking everything from popular movies to musical groups and everything in between. Having a stellar cast of guest stars hasn’t hurt either, with guest voices from Bob Hope to Elizabeth Taylor as well as music legends like Barry White, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones and even Paul McCartney. A lot of people don’t realize that in order for him to appear the producers had to agree to keep Lisa a vegetarian for the entirety of the series.

For years people have speculated about a possible Simpsons Movie, and now the wait is over. My life will be complete on July 27th 2007 when the Simpsons family hits the big screen after almost 18 years of preparation. The talented voice cast will show off all our loveable favourites. Barney, Chief Wiggum, Principal Skinner, Apu and the rest on the big screen! I can’t believe it….I am beginning to hyperventilate!

Some have speculated that the Simpsons can’t be converted for the big screen, that the series is successful because of its pace and that feature length won’t work. Well to that I say ‘eat my shorts!’ I believe the Simpsons can have their cake and eat it too….mmmmmmm cake (drool drool). In any case I can’t wait! If you are a Simpsons Fan please feel free to leave a comment. I’d also love to hear who your favourite character is. Mine is Apu Nahasapeemapetalon. Try saying that 5 times fast. Until next time remember, no Payne, no gain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Site Counter
Web Counter