I am very opinionated and patriotic. I don't apologize for either one. Sarcasm is something I find virtuous and I truly believe laughter solves everything....if it doesn't I don't mind a little violence either as long as it's fair. If you like my blog then show some of your friends. If you don't like it then let me know. Feel free to send me your comments and I will post most of them even if I don't agree. If you want to contact me my email address is canux.fan@yahoo.ca

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Dangerous Driver Freed

Jason Joseph Eckert, having served less than a year of his 2 years less a day sentence is now free on day parole after his conviction for dangerous driving causing death. Why do I care? Let me tell you a story.

After moving back here in 2003 I decided to drive past my daughter's new school. Unfortunately I came upon the scene of a tragic car accident only moments after it happened. A car driven by 54 year old Gloria Diane Robertson had been reduced in width by a third by the devastating impact of a motorcycle launched out of a back lane at well over 100 kmh. the collision fatally injured Gloria and by the time I got there it was too late to help. My wife held her head as she lay dying and I was about to attempt first aid to Mr Eckert but by then an ambulance could be heard approaching and so we stepped back and went our way. We found out the next morning that Gloria had died. Mr Eckert survived.

Much later it turned out that Mr Eckert worked in the same building as me and I began to hear unsettling rumours about his problems with alcohol and motor vehicles. He nearly got away with it but eventually he was charged. After numerous court appearances and wrangling, and rescheduling Mr Eckert was sentenced to two years less a day despite his horrendous record and legal troubles after the initial accident. Found guilty of assault and penalized at work for several infractions the hope was that he would go to jail. More on that in a moment.

During the course of the next couple of years my family had the pleasure of meeting Gloria's daughter Brenda. A sweet girl with a daughter that attended school only metres from the scene of the tragic accident. Many people were negatively effected by his actions including my wife that has a lingering fear of driving since it all happened. In a horrible twist of fate it seemed Brenda and Mr Eckert lived on the same street. Although times were tough Brenda and our family managed to share a few laughs and comfort each other when needed and we still talk today although admittedly it would have been nicer to meet under better circumstances.

Back to court. The judge in his infinite wisdom, (he would later win Columnist Tom Brodbeck's '8 ball award' for his ridiculous findings) decided that Mr Eckert was remorseful and could therefore serve the sentence in his home, down the street from Brenda. He was even allowed to keep his job as Brenda lost hers. It was devastating for everyone. Mr Eckert managed to abide by the rules for exactly 1 day before breaching his conditions and was then remanded to prison to serve out his sentence.

After less than a year he is out, has a place to live and even a job. He is prohibited from driving but that didn't stop him before. He was lucky to have friends and family offer testimony as to his character so that he could be freed. Brenda was alone, like every other day because Mr Eckert killed her Mom. She has no job and has problems every day of her life trying to cope with this awful catastrophe.

The main fear is that, as his track record clearly shows, he will reoffend. The sentencing principles are supposed to 'deter' and 'keep the public safe' some may even argue 'rehabilitation.' There isn't much deterrence in a 6 month sentence for killing someone, I don't think he has been rehabilitated, and the public is certainly at risk.

I wish I had something snappy to say that would tie everything together and make sense of this horrific situation, but this isn't a hollywood movie and there doesn't seem to be a happy ending. Brenda continues to search for a new job while trying to find meaning in her life, perhaps in some sort of victim's advocacy role. She is strong and with the support of her daughter there is hope. And Mr Eckert? He starts his new job soon and though he insists it is only for use on private property, he already has a new motorcycle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Site Counter
Web Counter