I am very opinionated and patriotic. I don't apologize for either one. Sarcasm is something I find virtuous and I truly believe laughter solves everything....if it doesn't I don't mind a little violence either as long as it's fair. If you like my blog then show some of your friends. If you don't like it then let me know. Feel free to send me your comments and I will post most of them even if I don't agree. If you want to contact me my email address is canux.fan@yahoo.ca

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Happy Birthday Dad!

60 years ago today, in a small Scottish town, (Whitburn, West Lothian, Scotland)
my Dad entered the world. He came to Canada when he was a baby and is still my favourite immigrant.

My Dad spent most of his life on Vancouver Island and has been in the public eye for 30 + years with stops as a radio DJ, host of his own show on CHEK (now CH) TV as well as stops as a councillor for both the City of Duncan and the municipality of North Cowichan. He has also written columns for several newspapers and has been an inspiration for me my whole life.

My Dad wrote in his high school yearbook that he wanted to either go into broadcasting or into the Air Force. Well he went one way and I went the other. I sometimes wish that I would have followed in my Fathers footsteps but he was sensible enough to let me know that broadcasting is difficult and there is not much job security. Who knows maybe it will be my second career.

I was not an easy kid to raise. I was lazy in school, I had bully problems, I was a picky eater. I was in a terrible car accident and I even shot myself once....ok it wasn't on purpose and everything worked out ok aside from my nickname 'Trigger' that I got from a friends Dad. I got through all that though and I even became a pretty decent person. I did well in Air Cadets, and have so far been pretty good at my job. I am also trying to branch out into writing and stand up comedy, and most of that is because of the influence my Dad has had on me.

My Dad is outgoing and funny. He taught me about many things and gave me the gift of sarcasm. He is in better shape now than he was 20 years ago and pampers his dog too much. I mean you can't technically call her a lap dog if my Dad is always carrying her. Maybe she should be called a forearm dog. He loves my Mom and is the hero of his grand-children. I hope that I turn out just like him when I grow up, (I am 35 so that may never happen but who knows), although with a little more hair.

The bottom line is that I am lucky to have a Dad like mine. I am proud to be your son and I love you, and thanks for giving me advice when I need it. Have a great day Dad! We all miss you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you Dave but who are you talking about, did you finally find out you were adopted?

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Site Counter
Web Counter