I am very opinionated and patriotic. I don't apologize for either one. Sarcasm is something I find virtuous and I truly believe laughter solves everything....if it doesn't I don't mind a little violence either as long as it's fair. If you like my blog then show some of your friends. If you don't like it then let me know. Feel free to send me your comments and I will post most of them even if I don't agree. If you want to contact me my email address is canux.fan@yahoo.ca

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

WOO HOO the NHL Playoffs are here!

I guess the only good thing about my Canucks pulling a Bode Miller and not making the playoffs is that at least we finished 2 pts up on Toronto! In fact we are the best out of the losers! 92 pts = highest point total that didn't make the playoffs. Anyway I digress. This is about my predictions for the first round of the playoffs.

There is a lot of Parity out there and the NHL insists the crackdown on obstruction remains in place so this should make for some exciting hockey. Can Calgary recapture it's passion from 04? (long live the 'Red Mile') Will Hasek return to the Sens? Will Forsberg last? So many storylines so little time. With that in mind lets get to it.

Lets start in the East;


  • Ottawa vs Tampa Bay - No question that TB has lost a lot of ground since becoming the long-reigning champ. No Khabibulin, and St Louis playing like a small man puts the bolts in tough against a stacked Ottawa powerhouse. Hasek apparently isn't ready yet but does it matter against the inconsistent Lightning? Nope. I say Ottawa in 5, 4 if Hasek gets back.
  • Carolina vs Montreal - Carolina is possibly the best they have ever been and are scary good with Staal, Weight, Brind'Amour etc. Montreal has been on fire and could surprise some if Huet plays like he did earlier. If he plays like he did in game 82 it could be a sweep. Tough call. I will go out on a limb and say Montreal makes a game of it but falls short. Canes in 6
  • New Jersey vs New York Rangers - These teams may be # 3 and # 6 respectively but they are actually only 1 point apart in the standings. This is the toughest one to call. Brodeur has 144 playoff games under his belt and is possibly the most consistent performer in net that the NHL has ever seen, but I don't see him stopping the Czechs uh I mean the Rangers. They are too powerful with Jagr looking interested in playing and the wunderkind Henrik Lundqvist winning over 30 games. This will likely go 7 but I give a slight edge to the Rangers. Rangers in 7
  • Buffalo vs Philadelphia - The Sabres look good and seem to have a balanced attack. Ex-Jet Teppo Numminen is in fine form and Co-captains Briere and Drury offer different looks on offence. Which goalie they go with is a question mark with Ryan Miller looking good but lacking experience and Biron finishing the season with a well earned shutout against the 'Canes. I don't think it matters. If Forsberg plays it could be a short series, he simply dominates when he is on his game and guys like Carter, Gagne and Knuble are raring to go. The Flyers have been up and down lately but I think they are going to turn it around. Philly in 6

Now to the West;

  • Detroit vs Edmonton - The season series was split 2 games each and the Oilers are a fast young team. Ryan Smyth is a warrior and Roloson is rounding into form. That being said they could be a bug on the Detroit Red Wings windshield. Detroit won the presidents trophy going away and this juggernaut may be unstoppable. Stevie Y is likely on his last playoff run and his will alone could take them to the end. The Wings are deep and well coached so this one may be over quick. Wings in 5 but a sweep wouldn't be a surprise.
  • Dallas vs Colorado - This is going to be interesting. Colorado is not the team it used to be and goaltending is an issue. Theodore is playing again but after such a bad season and coming off injury do you go with him? Do you play the kid with no experience instead? Budaj has a better than 500 record but is he ready for the intensity of the playoffs? Dallas will go with Turco who I expect to pick it up now that the games count. Dallas has been shaky down the stretch but with their experience and talent they should overcome the Avs. It might be close but I say Stars in 6
  • Calgary vs Anaheim - Kiprusoff is the best goalie in the league right now and the guy never loses his cool. Iggy is a tremendous leader and plays well when it counts. Brian Burke has drastically improved this team and with Neidermayer x 2 as well as a reborn Teemu Selanne this team could go deep...Unless Phaneuf shortens the duck bench with his hellacious hits. The Sutter factor may give the Flames the edge though but it should be the most intense series of the first round. Flames in 7
  • Nashville vs Thornton/Cheechoo- oops I mean San Jose - Wow what a difference a trade makes! Cheechoo wins the Rocket and Thornton gets the Ross. This team is dynamite and I don't think Nashville will be able to solve the dynamic duo especially now that they have lost Vokoun. Kariya is a veteran and knows how to find the net, and Sullivan and Sillinger got there too but without Vokoun I fear Nashville is done. San Jose in 5

So there you have it. My bold predictions. check back later to see if I know what I am talking about. Feel free to post your comments and see if you can predict it better. Until next time remember, no Payne no game!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Site Counter
Web Counter